School SEND Offer

Special Educational Needs Information for Parents

New Silksworth Academy is an inclusive school. No child will be discriminated against because of physical, learning, emotional or behavioural difficulties, or sensory impairment. We are passionate about ensuring all children reach their potential in all areas of school life.

We recognise that all pupils are entitled to a quality of provision which will enable them to achieve their potential.

We believe in positive intervention; removing barriers to learning; raising expectations and levels of achievement and working in partnership with other agencies in order to provide a positive educational experience for all SEND pupils.

At New Silksworth Academy we are committed to the concept of parents as equal partners in their child’s education. If parents are concerned about their child’s progress they should speak to their child’s teacher or to the Head teacher Mrs. E. Robins.

As soon as staff feel that a child has Special Educational Needs they will talk to the parents and bring the child to the attention of the school’s Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENDCo) who is Mrs. S. Mincher.

A termly meeting will take place between the SENDCo and the Link Governors in order to ensure the Governor is kept up to date regarding the provision for SEND pupils.

Special Educational Needs provision is the responsibility of the whole teaching staff and will be dealt with, on the whole, by presenting a differentiated curriculum to meet the individual pupil’s measurable targets agreed with the child, parents, school and where required outside agencies.

Currently staff are working with the following outside agencies:

Education services

Special Educational Needs Support Service, Educational psychology, Portage (pre-school – home-based), Service for physical disability, Autism Outreach Team, Early Help Team Sensory Support including the Hearing impaired service and Visually impaired service,

Health/social services

Speech and Language Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Specialist Consultants, General practitioner, Paediatrics, Health visitor, School nurse, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service – CAMHS and Social Services.

A child with Special Educational Needs and/or a Disability will have a PSP (Personal Support Plan) which sets out targets that are currently being worked on and what additional provision is put in place for that child. The content of the PSP is negotiated, as appropriate, with the child and the child’s family.

For many children, targets will be connected to learning and will often be specifically to do with literacy and numeracy. For other children, they may linked with social interaction, communicating with children and adults, emotional difficulties, overcoming physical issues (for example problems to do with fine motor control). The targets depend on the needs of the child.

The school offers many different forms of additional provision. This can include: additional in-class support; additional out-of-class support; one-to-one support; flexible groupings (including small group work); access to specific resources; mentoring; counselling; and access to a wide range of outside agencies. The additional provision depends on the needs of the child.

School adheres to the 2015 Code of Practice for Special Educational Needs and the Disability Act of 2004.

All staff in school continue to remove the barriers to learning, making all aspects of school life accessible to all pupils and ensuring all pupils reach their full potential.

New Silksworth Academy is committed to providing an education that includes and stimulates all children, regardless of ability. We have pupils with a wide range of abilities and different needs and endeavour to include them in all activities, providing them with the opportunity to fulfil their full potential. We recognise that some pupils will need extra support and adaptations to access the school curriculum and to participate in school activities. This policy gives details of our approach and action we may take to support the pupils in our care.

Mrs Mincher is our SENDCo (Special Educational Needs Coordinator). She works with the Headteacher and staff to oversee the provision for pupils with special educational needs.

The key responsibilities of the SENDCo include:

overseeing the day-to-day operation of the school’s SEN policy

coordinating provision for children with SEN

liaising with the relevant Designated Teacher where a looked after pupil has SEN

advising on the Graduated Approach to providing SEN support

advising on the deployment of the school’s delegated budget and other resources to meet pupils’ needs effectively

liaising with parents of pupils with SEN

liaising with early years providers, other schools, educational psychologists, health and social care professionals, and independent or voluntary bodies

being a key point of contact with external agencies, especially the local authority and its support services

liaising with potential next providers of education to ensure a pupil and their parents are informed about options and a smooth transition is planned

working with the headteacher and school governors to ensure that the school meets its responsibilities under the Equality Act (2010) with regard to reasonable adjustments and access arrangements

ensuring that the school keeps the records of all pupils with SEN up to date

The Headteacher – Mrs E Robins

Responsible for:

The SEND Governor – Mrs R McDonald

Quality First Teaching

All children should have access to a broad and balanced curriculum. The National Curriculum Inclusion Statement states that teachers must set high expectations for every child, whatever their prior attainment. All teachers are teachers of children with SEN. They have a responsibility to:

Definition of Special Educational Needs and the Four Areas of Need. (As stated in the Revised Code of Practice)

A child has SEN when their learning difficulty or disability calls for special educational provision, that is provision different from or additional to that normally available to pupils of the same age. Making higher quality teaching normally available to the whole class is likely to mean that fewer pupils will require such support. Such improvements in whole-class provision tend to be more cost effective and sustainable.

Broad areas of need (As outlined in the SEN Code of Practice April 2015)

Children’s needs and requirements may fall into at least one of four areas though many children will have inter-related needs. All areas of need will have a varying degree of impact upon the child’s ability to function, learn and succeed. Children experiencing difficulties in any one or a combination of these areas may be entered on either the school’s Medical Register or SEN Register or both. Children whose difficulties are solely due to home language differing from the language in which s/he is taught are not identified as having SEN.

Communication and interaction

Children with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) have difficulty in communicating with others. This may be because they have difficulty saying what they want to, understanding what is being said to them or they do not understand or use social rules of communication. The profile for every child with SLCN is different and their needs may change over time. They may have difficulty with one, some or all of the different aspects of speech, language or social communication at different times of their lives.

Children with an Autism Spectrum Disorder, including Asperger’s Syndrome and Autism, are likely to have particular difficulties with social interaction. They may also experience difficulties with language, communication, social interaction and imagination, which can impact on how they relate to others.

Cognition and learning

Support for learning difficulties may be required when children learn at a slower pace than their peers, even with appropriate differentiation. Learning difficulties cover a wide range of needs, including moderate learning difficulties (MLD), severe learning difficulties (SLD), where children are likely to need support in all areas of the curriculum and associated difficulties with mobility and communication, through to profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD), where children are likely to have severe and complex learning difficulties as well as a physical disability or sensory impairment.

Specific learning difficulties (SpLD), affect one or more specific aspects of learning. This encompasses a range of conditions such as dyslexia, dyscalculia and dyspraxia.

Social, emotional and mental health difficulties

Children may experience a wide range of social and emotional difficulties which manifest themselves in many ways. These may include becoming withdrawn or isolated, as well as displaying challenging, disruptive or disturbing behaviour. These behaviours may reflect underlying mental health difficulties such as anxiety or depression, self-harming, substance misuse, eating disorders or physical symptoms that are medically unexplained. Other children and young people may have disorders such as attention deficit disorder, attention deficit hyperactive disorder or attachment disorder.

Our School has clear processes to support children, including how we manage the effect of any disruptive behaviour so it does not adversely affect other pupils (see Behaviour and use of Reasonable Force Policy).

Sensory and/or physical needs

Some children require special educational provision because they have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of the educational facilities generally provided. These difficulties can be age related and may fluctuate over time. Many children and young people with vision impairment (VI), hearing impairment (HI) or a multi-sensory impairment (MSI) will require specialist support and/or equipment to access their learning. Children with an MSI have a combination of vision and hearing difficulties, which makes it even more difficult for them to access the curriculum or study programme than for those with a single sensory impairment.

Some children with a physical disability (PD) require additional ongoing support and equipment to acess all the opportunities available to their peers.

The Special Education Needs Information Report

Schools utilise the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by school policy and the provision that the school is able to provide. Schools refer to this as ‘The Special Education Needs Information Report.

Question 1
Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or disability (SEND)?

The Class teacher

Responsible for:

Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo/Inclusion Manager) know as necessary.

  • Writing Pupil Progress targets/ Personal Support Plans (PSPs), and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term. Personalised teaching and learning for your child as identified on school’s provision map.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.
  • Question 2

    What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in our school?

    a) Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).

    For your child this would mean:

    b) Specialist groups run by outside agencies e.g .Speech and Language Therapy

    SEN Code of Practice 2015: School Support (SS)

    This means they have been identified by the SENDCo/ class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

    What could happen:

    You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.

    The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.

    c) Specified Individual support

    This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are, severe, complex and lifelong.

    This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching.

    This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups (“Including All Children” documentation from LA).

    Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

    Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need)

    Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service

    For your child this would mean:

    Question 3

    How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

    If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.

    If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to the Special Education Needs/ Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo).

    Question 4

    How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

    If your child is identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • listen to any concerns you may have
  • plan any additional support your child may need
  • discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning
  • Question 5

    How is extra support allocated to children and how do they progress in their learning?

    The school budget includes money for supporting children with SEND.

  • The Head Teacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.
  • The Head Teacher and the SENDCo discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:
  • ◦the children getting extra support already

    ◦the children needing extra support

    ◦the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected and decide what resources/training and support is needed.

    ◦the child’s view will be sought informally and for review meetings; this may not always be possible with very young children / children with delayed development.

  • Schools identify the needs of their pupils on a school provision map which for SEND pupils identifies all resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.
  • Question 6

    Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in this school?

    School provision

  • Teaching Assistants / Learning Support
  • Higher Level Teaching Assistant
  • Breakfast club / After school club
  • School clubs
  • Local Authority Provision delivered in school

    • Autism Outreach Service

  • Educational Psychology Service
  • • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs

  • Parent Partnership Service
  • Language and Learning Team
  • Health Provision delivered in school

  • Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school.
  • School Nurse
  • Health Visitor
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy

  • Question 7
    How are the teachers in school helped to work with children a SEND and what training do they have?

    The SENDCo’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.

  • The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Speech and language difficulties.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g. from the Autism Outreach Team (AoT) service.

  • We are a Makaton Friendly school with a member of staff trained to deliver training sessions to parents and other members of staff.

  • Question 8

    How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

    Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.

    •Support staff, under the direction of the class teacher, can adapt planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.

    •Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.

    •Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs.

    Question 9

    How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

    Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.

  • His/her progress is reviewed formally every term in reading, writing and numeracy via assessments. This will be shared with you at parent consultation meetings in Autumn and Spring term. An annual report will be provided in Summer Term.
  • At the end of each key stage (the end of EYFS, Year 2 and Year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.
  • Children may have a Personal Support Plan which will be reviewed, and a future plan made.
  • The progress of children with a statement of SEND/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review, with all adults involved with the child’s education.
  • • The SENDCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.

  • Children in Year 1 (and on occasion Year 2) complete a national phonics screening test in June.
  • Children entering Year 1 are teacher assessed at the start of the academic year which provides a baseline entry level for the Key Stage.
  • PIVATS assessment tool may be used for children if it is felt that other assessment tools are too expansive to show progress.
  • Question 10

    What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with a SEND?

    The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.

  • The SENDCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • Personal Support Plans will be reviewed with your involvement.
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.
  • • A parent booklet and information gathering form is shared with all new parents to their school in order to gain an in depth knowledge about the care and support that your child has benefited from, currently receiving or may need in the future.

    • School will host regular multi-professional meetings, if needed.

    Question 11
    How is New Silksworth Academy accessible to children with SEND?

    The building is accessible for children with SEND via:

    We ensure, where ever possible, that:

    Question 12

    How will we support your child when they are leaving this school? OR moving on to another class?

    We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.

    If your child is moving child to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENDCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • We encourage visits to your child’s new school and where possible a member of staff will visit the new setting with you and your child.
  • When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. Personal Support Plans will be shared with the new teacher.
  • If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them.
  • School will host a whole school transition day so that children will meet their new teacher in their new classroom
  • Question 13

    What Emotional and Social Development support we have for a child with a SEND?

    We recognise that some children have extra emotional and social needs that need to be developed and nurtured. These needs can manifest themselves in a number of ways, including behavioural difficulties, anxiousness, and being uncommunicative.

    All classes follow a structured PSHE (Personal, Social, Health end Economic education) curriculum to support this development.

  • The Emotional Health and Well being of all our pupils is very important to us.
  • We have a robust Safeguarding Policy in place, we follow National & LA Guidelines (see Keeping Children Safe In Education Document).
  • We have a robust Pastoral Care Discipline Policy in place. We have a Social Inclusion Officer, Mrs Potts, who is available to support children and families in school.
  • The Head teacher, Deputy Head teacher and all staff continually monitor the Emotional Health and Well being of all our pupils.
  • Admissions

    The school adopts the Local Authority Admissions policy. Where a child or young person has SEN but does not have an EHC plan they must be educated in a mainstream setting except in specific circumstances (see below).

    The School Admissions Code of Practice requires children and young people with SEN to be treated fairly. Admissions authorities:

    must consider applications from parents of children who have SEN who do not have an EHC plan on the basis of the school’s published admissions criteria as part of normal admissions procedures

    must not refuse to admit a child who has SEN but does not have an EHC plan because they do not feel able to cater for those needs

    must not refuse to admit a child on the grounds that they do not have an EHC plan

    Reviewed October 2018

    Next review October 2019